Thursday, May 8, 2014

Monica Lewinsky's Comeback

This topic has been so intriguing to me, I’m not quite sure why, but it’s just been so interesting to read all of the articles about Monica Lewinsky’s new article that will appear the in the June issue of Vanity Fair. Here is what have to say about it up to this point.

First of all, what Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky did was wrong and very bad. Very, very, bad. Moving forward from that, the fact that Bill Clinton denied the affair initially was terrible. But how do you recover from that? Isn't it interesting that people still respect and honor Bill Clinton but they don’t exactly feel that way about Monica Lewinsky? Why is that? Everybody make mistakes in life and nobody wants them displayed for the world to see. However when you make that mistake with the President of the United States, you have pretty much lost that privilege; people will know. Though I was young, about elementary school age when this happened, I still remember it. It was the age that I started to become more aware of the things that happened in the world. I just remember hearing about it and asking my parents what was going on. They explained to me the wrong choices that were made and then I eventually remember President Clinton was impeached. Once that was explained to me, I still didn’t understand how he could be President after he was impeached, and the explanation of that went over my young head.

Now let’s fast forward to today. As I read this article my first thought was, “Wow, that’s very brave of Monica to put herself back into the mainstream.” Then I thought, “What is Hillary going to say about this! I’m sure she’s going to run for President, how will this affect her?”  Then I waited for the firing to begin. And so far it’s been interesting. There have been so many speculations about the motive behind Monica speaking up about this affair. I truly try to give people the benefit of the doubt. What does that really mean for me? Basically, I just want to hear what people have to say and hope that they are being honest, and until they prove me wrong I try to believe what they say. Once that trust is gone, it is a different story. However, no matter what, I try to find a way to respect people. I respect Monica for what she is trying to do in building her life back up and “writing her own ending” as she says. I am sure it’s been hard to live in the shadow of her mistake and always being looked down upon. This affair turned her into a celebrity and she is recognized everywhere. That is something I cannot imagine going through. There is the principle of consequences, every choice has them, and they often last longer than it takes to rebuild or repent. I sincerely hope that she is doing well, because despite peoples’ mistakes they need to be treated with respect. And I really, really hope that the reports that state she is doing this on her own are true, and that Hillary has nothing to do with this. I hope that these women can move on and that Hillary can applaud Monica for trying to channel her trials into a good cause. And honestly, I think that if this is the case, then Monica made a smart move from the public relations perspective because she can relate to the people that she is helping. She is recognized for her mistakes and humiliation, and there are people out there who are suffering from similar humiliation that need the support. However, if this comes back to Hillary and her election, I think it’s a mistake because everyone will see right through Hillary.

Let’s hope that after so much scum and dishonesty in her life that Monica Lewinsky has chosen to be honest.


These articles are super interesting, so please read if you are interested. I’ll be here waiting to hear from Hillary’s side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment