Thursday, May 15, 2014

Beware of the Five Fingered Shoe

This article about Vibram Five Finger shoes instantly grabbed my attention because I think that they are heinously ugly and disgusting. I remember when they became popular, and I was just as sad as the day when Crocs became acceptable footwear. It’s just slightly creepy to see someone’s toes when they are wearing full on shoes. It’s like the toes are going to attack you. Needless to say when I saw an article about a law suit for Vibram’s Five Finger shoes, I leaped for joy in my fully toe covered running shoes! Does this mean we don’t have to see these horrible shoes anymore? Well, I was not quite right, but it was interesting to see the way Vibram handled this lawsuit.

In March 2012 a woman sued Vibram Five Finger shoes for making false health benefit claims in their promotion of Five Finger shoes. The claim was that running in these shoes was like running bare foot and that it would strengthen your feet and reduce injury. Well, these claims are false. There is no actual evidence to support these claims. Vibram settled in court for $3.75, granting anyone who bought these shoes after March 2009 to get a refund of up to $94. (The shoes are originally $100.)

According to surveys, many of the shoes owners will not be returning their shoes. Despite their misleading advertising, people seem to like them and will continue using them. I thought it was interesting that it took them so long to settle this case. I also found it interesting that Vibram never took fault or admitted to anything. There was not a public statement or apology. That is a big risk since it could really be taken the wrong way to their loyal customers. I just find it interesting that when faced with a big lawsuit that they chose to remain pretty much silent. However, it was also interesting that despite not taking fault they settled a $3.75 million dollar law suit. That’s a pretty penny, but maybe not for them. In the end, I appreciate that they seemingly took the high road and paid up although they did not take the fault. They may not think they were in the wrong but they were the “bigger man” and settled the case in order to move on. I feel like this showed the customers that they did care. It also gave the customers the option or returning the shoes or not. This will show Vibram what their customers really think of their product. It may even lead customers to be more loyal to this brand. So all in all, despite the silence, from a public relations stance, they handled it pretty well.


Unfortunately, our streets will still be filled with these awful shoes. At least the runners using them are fully aware that it’s not the shoe that makes them a good runner, but in fact, they are good runners. 

I read several articles but I liked this one the best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment